The Impoverished Gentlewoman

A '60s woman lost in the woods.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

In Memoriam

Beatrice Lorene Christie Vest
1923-2008

Our memory is a more perfect world than the universe: It gives back life to those who no longer exist.
-Guy de Maupassant

My mother died recently and although it would be more honest to describe her as my worst enemy rather than a loving,nuturing mentor, acknowledgment is due. My brief flashes of grief surprise me as does guilt. But our parents create us and we in turn help create our own children. What a strange journey it is . I was an unloved child but there must have been something there to make me go on (screwed up and damaged as I am-oh,yes). A brief smile, a touch. Something. I do love so it has to come from somewhere. So no regret, no anger. But acceptance. We have to have that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home