The Impoverished Gentlewoman

A '60s woman lost in the woods.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Where is Rita Tushingham?

I don't mean the present day actor. I saw her playing a demented granny in a movie a few weeks ago. No, I mean what her early roles meant to a whole generation of young women.
When I was at the University of Florida in Gainesville, there was a theater that showed foreign films. I loved to go on sundays. Hopefully it would be raining. There I would indulge myself with Bergman & Fellini. One day I saw "A taste of Honey" and it affected me...well, forever. The US was falling in love with everything British, from the Beatles to "Alfie" but this film was very personal for me. A few years later, it was "The girl with green eyes" and my enthrallment was complete.
So does this generation of young women have their own Rita? Perhaps they don't need one. I don't know. It could be that because there were so many monumental changes for women then, it helped to be inspired by a film or a book or even to feel validated. I know it helped me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home