The Impoverished Gentlewoman

A '60s woman lost in the woods.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

In Memorium-a record collection :-(

When I left South Florida years ago, my cherished record collection (Yes...real records..LPs) resided in a box in my closet,safely tucked into their album covers. When my mother moved from that house into my grandmother's house,that box was supposed to be put into the utility room. Ah, fool that I was.
Records are heavy and I no longer had a turntable so I admit that they were put on the backburner of my mind.
However, when my mother died and my children went down to the house to go through all the stuff to retrieve things for me (books,photos) I was also notified that that box no longer existed. Instead there was an occasional LP found,no cover. What? What? What in the F happened? Were they used as coasters? Were they given to the neighbor children as frisbees? Did the Miami Dolphins use them for punting practice? I guess I'll never know. So I grieve.
The record album was something special. The record itself,of course,but inside you usually found other treasures-liner notes,posters,tour pictures and always LYRICS. I remember every Beatle album-always momentous. I had a wine party for my friends when I brought home "Jesus Christ Superstar". I sold my favorite Neil Young album to buy food. A few melted in the South Florida heat. A few were stolen.
My one major regret is that I never kept record of them. Every once in a while I'll remember one -oh, that Graham Nash record was really good. But me keeping record?Not in my nature, I guess.
So heres to the old record albums! If you have any,keep them close. The cost of turntables keep going down. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home